Sunday, April 1, 2012

“MoMA PS1: The Good, the Bad, and the Misunderstood”


Many people have different ways of seeing art and some look for specific things that attract their eyes, which will make them admire the art itself. With my trip down to the MOMA PS1 I myself found a good painting and bad and one that I completely didn’t understand. I will discuss all my point of views on the artwork and how I feel about them.

One specific artwork that really got my attention and was very well shown on a screen was by Rania Stephan (Lebanese, born 1960 worked on films for two decades) The three Disappearance of Soad Hosni 2011 Video (color, sound) 70min a video in which this artist took of a actress. The whole video consist from her first movie she did to the end to the end of the last movie she made in order to give a story of Soad Hosni. The piece really showed that he put extremely hard work in order to use all of her movies to make one movie with different clips to me it showed that Rania is a very smart individual.

One artwork that really didn’t catch my eyes was by Frances Stark (American born 1967) My best thing 2011 Video (Color, Sound) 99.17 min. This was a video of two animated characters talking about stuff, which really just bored me, and I didn’t really seeing anything that had to be even compared to ART. What really throws me of from this piece was just the whole video it was pretty creepy. I would say to an extent I would learn how to appreciate this artwork but really it would take me time and learn a way in which I can really see what the artist is trying to present to the people.

The third artwork, which will be the one that I completely didn’t understand, was by Henery Taylor (California Born 1958) it’s like a jungle 2011 found objects. This specific work was very confusing yes I got the concept of the artwork from the title but I would want to know why he used the different objects it just seemed like it was trash but at the same time something that was pretty much worth looking at.  I believe that artwork doesn’t need to give you all the answers it should make the person think about it in which you leave him with a memory of your artwork.

At the end of the day many people have there own opinions about artwork and how they look at it but to me art is something very nice to come across to see how people can think and how they want to grasp your eyes and imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment